Sunday, May 1, 2011

St James Gate Brewery: October 2000

Before wine, there was beer in my life. Lots and lots of watered down beer. Beer that I choked back at college parties wincing all the while. There came a point when the Busch Light did start going down easier, just never that enjoyably. Beer was beer and until I could buy my own liquor and mixers it was what I was stuck with. Then I went to Ireland. Oh, Ireland! The land of my people and of Guinness. Before we toured St. James Gate Brewery we had gone to some pubs and I stuck with Baileys or a cider. Then we got to St. James Gate. Our tour was fun and with it you got a pint or two half pints of Guinness.  Since I knew beer wasn't my thing, but I was at the Guinness brewery I HAD to at least try half a pint. My world was forever changed that day. What deliciousness I experienced! It tasted nothing like that flat watery stuff in the cans we had back home! This dark black beverage was amazing! Its creamy smoothness the Irish claimed you needed to drink the heavy beverage with a "knife and fork."  In addition to a penchant for wine, I can be often found sipping a porter, stout or brown ale depending on my mood. I haven't completely given up light beer, but that Busch is definitely part of my past that I'd like to leave there!

No comments:

Post a Comment