Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Blue Mountain Brewery & Barborsville Vineyards: April 2010

Travelling down to Charlottesville for a weekend away, with my bf at the time, one of my goals was to check out a winery since it had been so long since I’d been to one. We spent the weekend hiking in the Blue Ridge Mountains, but a full day of spring hiking doesn’t leave much time left for wineries that close at 5 or 6 so we hit up a mountainside microbrewery that was open a little later. Coming from the Northwest microbreweries are abundant and now nanobreweries are popping up, but back east a good microbrew is hard to find. Well, we were in luck and found some good beers at Blue Ridge Brewery, my favorite was the stout aged in bourbon barrels. I’m not big on whiskey or bourbon but this stout was delish!

We continued our weekend adventures and on the drive out of town we finally hit a winery. Our stop happened to be at Barboursville Vineyard, which has been my favorite winery yet! Its vineyards and tasting room are beautiful and elegant. There is a B & B on the grounds next to historic ruins of a home designed by Thomas Jefferson.  For $5 you can taste all 20 wines, which may sound like a bit too many varieties, but some were the same varieties are from multiple years. They had a great white table wine and I really am not a fan of many whites. While it’s an Italian wine I did discover Sangiovese here in Virginia, I know right?! Well at least Barboursville vineyards were established by an Italian family in 1976. 

Jefferson designed home
On the grounds of Barborsville

No comments:

Post a Comment