Friday, August 19, 2011

Zephaniah Farm Vineyard: August 14, 2011 (part 3 of 3)

Ah ha, part 3, the conclusion of last Sunday in Loudoun County. Before our leisurely lunch we thought we'd hit 2 more wineries, but after lunch realized that 2 would be a reach since one of needed to drive. So one more winery it was and Lori had picked out Zephaniah Farm Vineyard in the morning, based mostly on the name and a few yelp reviews. A word from the wise, don't trust your GPS for this one, it will guide you right past the tasting room. As a driver I was deeply focused on the very uneven gravel, luckily Lori was taking in the scene and caught the tiny sign right after I passed it. We were on a dirt road, it was easy to back up and pull into the rainbow drive. It was definitely unique. As we walked up to the house, as it is a farm house circa 1830, it was surrounded by an enticing garden that reminded me of the "Secret Garden" that just draws you in.

After a few minutes of poking and prodding about outside we entered. I was caught off guard upon entering since you are literally entering a family home, granted its not the one the owners live in, it is very comfortably lived in and I felt as though we might be intruding. We were promptly greeted and ushered into the tasting room, which was once the dining room and joined 6 other guests at the family style dining table. Still I felt a bit out of place. After the first 2 tastings were down, I don't even remember what they were like (a Sauvignon Blanc & Merlot) since I was still nervous taking in the scene and sitting next to complete strangers. That's the thing about DC, I have come to embody the typical DC'er ignoring strangers, keeping to myself and I can't stand it, but half the time when I do drop my guard and am my genuine friendly self I have found a rude awaking of well rudeness; once burned twice shy is the saying right?

Anyway after a bit a wine was drunk, we started chatting with our neighbors at the table who were quite nice, but on the tail end of their tasting and the other group left shortly after as well. Soon it was just Lori and I and we really got to talk to the proprietress. She was quite interesting and told us all about the family history of the place, we found it quiet remarkable the amount of wine they produce in such a small area. After we finished our tasting of 6 wines for $4 we decided we liked the 2009 Chambourcin Reserve the best, but then we headed south, to the cellar. Down there we got to see the bottling and aging process and we did a cellar tasting of the 2010 Chambourcin, which let me tell you, that is where its  at! Its aged in neutral French Oak as most of their wines are and it was tasty. Before leaving we poked around a little bit more in the library, if you are a history buff you'd love this place. Its full of old relics and as previously mentioned, tons of family history in a family run establishment. The name actually comes from the proprietor's grandfather and his picture is hung proudly next to his 3 following generations. If you are looking for a family operation take the time to veer off the main road to Zephaniah, it might just be your refreshing reprise, taking you back to a simpler time.
Don't pass it by!

Exploring the "Secret Gardens"
The goods

No comments:

Post a Comment