Sunday, October 7, 2012

Linden Vineyards: Why all the hype?

A few weeks back I FINALLY made it out to Linden Vineyards, with a friend of mine, Jill, who lives out that way. Let me first say that originally I didn't want to visit Linden because of the rule against going on the porch if you weren't a member on their website, they have since softened the tone online a bit. Several other Virginia wine bloggers had such great things to say about Linden it started to move up on my list of vineyards to visit. Then came the day when I got to go, yay! I was very excited, the views were great as we approached the tasting room.

When we entered the tasting room there was a couple tasting and a few folks on the deck, but it was relatively quiet. So quiet we almost didn't want to talk to each other. We stepped up to the bar and were greeted politely by our server. For $5 we tasted 5 wines. We started with the 2010 Seyval, dry & crisp aged in steel; the 2011 Rose was next, a bit tart with strong undertones of sour cherry; the 2010 Chardonnay we were told was actually a blend and aged in new oak, had a buttery nose; the 2010 Claret was also a blend of 46% Merlot, 31% Cab Sav, 15% Petit Verdot and only 8% Cab Franc, but the Franc came out the strongest. We finished with a 2010 Vidal Riesling with 3%r rs and aged in steel. My favorites were the Seyval and surprising the Riesling! I was really looking forward to the Chardonnay, but it wasn't what I had hoped it would be.

After tasting we were deciding between going to another vineyard or to stay for a glass, but the tasting room was so quiet and our server kept hovering it made it an awkward hushed conversation. We decided to skip the glass and try another vineyard since the atmosphere was so stifling. Since Jill had been there a few other times, I asked what she thought of Linden and she said every time she'd been there it was a little tense and hard to relax at.

So after giving it a solid try I'm still left wondering what people love about Linden. Perhaps it is geared to an older demographic? Sure, the views are great, the staff was polite, but the atmosphere not inviting and in my opinion the wines were not any better than many of the neighboring vineyards.  It wasn't terrible by any means, but with so many other more warm and inviting options in the area I'd be reluctant to visit Linden again.

5 comments:

  1. Older demographic? ouch :) You might be on to something, although I know some Gen-Xers and Gen Y who love the wines. We have found the wines in the cellar tasting to be superb. The Chardonnay is more Chablis-style too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. The wife and I very rarely go. There wines are great, but the atmosphere is not exactly what I go looking for in a winery. Their cellar tasting is another do once experience. It is great and they usually have a little better wines than up in their tasting room, but again pretty stuffy. What I have learned is that I can trust their wines to be good if I buy them in the store and online, but not always worth a visit to the winery to be subject to the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense, but you did it wrong. Just doing the $5 upstairs tasting is like judging a restaurant based on an appetizer. I think you need to give them another shot.

    Linden pours their more "entry-level" bottlings in the $5 tastings upstairs. You aren't really tasting their best wines unless you do their cellar tasting (or order them by the glass/bottle upstairs). Linden's best wines are their sngle vineyard bottlings of reds and chardonnays, as well as their dessert wines. You can taste some of those in the cellar tasting, or you can order some of them by the glass/bottle upstairs at the tasting counter.

    And I wouldn't judge the atmosphere based on what it's like to stand at the tasting counter, which is really just for doing tastings and placing orders. Their tasting counters are small, and you're not really supposed to hang out there. Next time, get a bottle or a couple of glasses and order some cheese and bread and go sit out on the patio and enjoy the view and have a relaxing afternoon. There is no hovering out on the patio - the staff will generally leave you alone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the feedback all.

    Dan, if you haven't noticed I focus on the wine, ambiance and service of vineyards from the perspective of the general public. I'm not a sommelier nor do I claim to be, what I strive to do with this blog is give my honest opinion of what one would find at any given winery. What I expected at Linden was to try some good wines with quality service since they appear to be so passionate about their wines, but my visit was 50/50.

    As for your comments about the cellar tasting, why would someone choose a more expensive cellar tasting when the tasting room wines didn't really tease your palate? Additionally the staff never uttered a word about the cellar tasting even after I offered my blog card and I had completely forgotten they offered them. Long story short, I didn't feel welcome and there was nothing to make me want to return. That's the beauty of Virginia's 210 unique wineries, I still have over 140 to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Allow me to add my two cents...this lines up with what I have always said about linden, the elitist country club atmosphere. First off cellar tasting? Why should tasting a wineries wine be am event or require a special cellar tasting? Also Dan may I add that in order to relax on the patio unless its a slow day that is a privilege only.members can take advantage of which furthers my case and point that unless your Dishing out Cash for the case club your not welcome there. You Shouldn't be ostracized By a winery and Presented with this ideology that unless your a member of.their case club you Aren't welcome there. Jim Law also lost a lot of respect as an Individual when he turned his back on the rest of the Virginia wine community publicly bashing the other wineries in the area and supporting the BoS ordinance. He feels like he is Some sort of special high Society winery then maybe he should shut his Doors and sell to Existing members and exclusive restaurants rather than subject Individuals to this type of snooty Behavior.

    ReplyDelete