Monday, October 10, 2011

Naked Mountain Winery: October 9, 2011

The plan for the day began with 2 wineries and an orchard so how, during the course of the day that changed to 3 vineyards and no orchards, even though we drove past both Stribling and Hartland Orchards. I’m not exactly sure. I really want to go back down to Charlottesville, but with all the travel I've been doing lately we decided to just head west down 66 to the Fauquier County vineyards. 

Our first stop was Naked Mountain Winery, I had heard from a few friends that they had good wine and a good time there, with a fun name it sounded like a good first stop. We arrived around noon to find a bustling, crowded bar where friendly neighbors scooted down to make room for our party of 4. Our server didn’t offer an introduction or welcome to the vineyard besides clarifying that the standard tasting was $5 for 5 wines or $10 to add in the 3 reserve wines, after that she didn't really speak to us again. We chose the reserve tasting and to be fair to the server let the record show that after a Saturday night Spanish wine party followed by a brutal football game that didn’t end until after 1:00am I was still trying to turn on my social, engaging side when we started this tasting so I really didn’t ask any questions of our server to draw her out. She was also serving the group next to us which is totally normal, but we were waiting quite awhile between pours until they left, then it seemed she couldn’t get us out of their soon enough and poured way to fast I had to gulp my wine down to keep up. Not fun. 

The group consensus was positive on the 2007 Barrel Fermented Chardonnay so we took a bottle out to the deck that did have some great views. Upon exiting we noticed several (40-50) dead stink bugs on the deck. While the pouring was slow we had noticed them on the inside of the windows as well as several gnats, but didn't pay them much attention. I’m an out-doorsy person and didn’t think much of the bugs-at first.  After sitting for a few sips they started swarming us, landing in our hair, on our shirts, on wine glasses, hitting us in the face! We were constantly swatting them away so I scoped the other side of their deck and was about to tell the group to move over there until I noticed them under the shade umbrellas and one ran right into my neck, startling me so bad I jumped and spilled my wine. I’d had enough and we moved inside to finish our bottle & cheese platter. We sipped and skipped buying additional bottles.  The 2007 Barrel Fermented chardonnay was the group favorite, although I found it a bit sweet, I did enjoy the 2007 Raptor Red from the reserve list and the 2006 Scarlet Oak Red though not enough to take a bottle home. I know the stink bugs are seasonal, but they really did make for an awful experience; combine them with the mediocre wine & service I was left with little to no desire to return in the future. It was the first stop and the next stop couldn't be any worse right?
The group with bottle #1 post indoor migration

Porch views, fall colors slipping in

No comments:

Post a Comment